Generating Shopify activation links for your WooCommerce customers
If you have customers on your existing WooCommerce store, you might want them to be able to log in to your new Shopify store. Unfortunately, it's not possible to move the passwords for their accounts over to Shopify, but the Ablestar WooCommerce Importer app can generate activation links that you can email to your existing customers.
Once you have migrated your customers to Shopify using the app, follow the steps below to generate a CSV file with your activation links.
Step 1: Generating activation links
- Open up the Ablestar WooCommerce Importer app
- Click on Previous imports
- Click Manage
- Scroll down the page until the Customer Activation Links section, then click on the Generate Activation Links button.
Depending on the number of customers you have, this may take a while to process.
Step 2: Downloading the CSV file
Once the CSV file is generated, you can download it from the Manage Import page:
- Go to the Manage Import page
- Scroll down until the Customer Activation Links section
- Click on Download Activation Links
The CSV file will contain the following fields: First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Activation Link.
Tip: If you generate your activation links before moving your domain to Shopify, the activation URLs will use your .myshopify.com domain. After you move your domain to Shopify, you can use the same activation URLs, just replace your .myshopify.com domain with the new domain that's pointing to your Shopify store.
Step 3: Emailing the activation links
You can use the CSV file to do a mail merge and generate emails to send to your customers. The steps to do so may vary depending on your email provider. Here are some helpful links for Constant Contact:
- Add and Manage Custom Fields - You can collect all of the information you need from your contacts with custom fields. Here are the instructions on how to do that: https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/33120-Create-and-Manage-Custom-Contact-Fields
- Import or Upload a File of Contact Email Addresses - Some instructions can be found here:https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5296-import-or-upload-a-file-of-contact-email-addresses
Note: The Activation Links can only be used once. They'll expire after 30 days, and if you re-generate new links, the old links are no longer valid.
You can easily migrate your customers and orders from WooCommerce to Shopify by following the steps from this article.