Delete Products and Variants
You can use the Ablestar Bulk Product Editor to delete products or variants in bulk.
Options vs Variants
By default in Shopify, you can have three 'options'. 'Size' , 'Color' and 'Material' are common 'options'.
You can also have 100 'variants' in total. Common variants are 'small', 'medium', 'large', or 'red', 'green', blue'. The Bulk Product Editor can delete individual 'variants', but not individual 'options'.
- Deleting products or variants is permanent. Please be absolutely sure you want to remove the products before proceeding
- In many cases it's better to set the product's status to 'Archived'. This will hide the product but you can still recover it
To delete products or variants with an in app edit:
- Filter for the products you want to edit, and click on Edit Products
- In the 'Field to Edit' box select Delete Products or Delete Variants in the 'Danger Zone' section
You can upload a spreadsheet to the 'Spreadsheet Edit' section of the app to delete products in the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet should have two columns:
- An identifier column (SKU, handle etc..)
- A column that contains the text 'delete'
A valid file looks like this:
When deleting individual variants, make sure the first column is a 'variant level' match field, like 'sku', 'variant id', or 'barcode'. To delete the entire product, you can use a 'product level' match field like 'handle' or 'product id'.
When deleting products with a spreadsheet edit, you cannot undo an update to other products in the same spreadsheet edit. This is to prevent products from being deleted accidentally.